Monday, June 18, 2012

Ya win some, ya loose some





Talk about a Millet Disaster tonight.  Let me back up and explain.  I bought Real Wild Alaskan Salmon as this is suppose to be much healthier than the $7 cheaper version at Costco that is farm raised and has dye to make it look pinker.  So I decided that butternut squash and some sort of grain pilaf would be good sides to go with it.  Well, I got my bulk Millet out and decided to try out my pressure cooker (I've only used it once before) to save time since millet takes about 35 min on the stove top to cook.  It took me a good 20 minutes to review the directions on how to use the cooker and then I wasn't sure if I could add extra ingredients to make it a pilaf or not so I just added broth, garlic, and celery.  It cooked for 10 minutes, and then I had to wait another 15 min for the canner to cool off enough to remove the millet.  Above is what it looked like.  It was all clumpy and stuck together.  I thought it would be okay once it cooled on our plates until.....Liberty asked if she could have some.  I informed her I already put some on her plate in which she said I hadn't.  I glanced over to see that the spoonful I gave her actually was so formed that it rolled off her plate like a bouncy ball.   

Jon and I started laughing so hard I was sweating all over and almost choked. Not exactly the soft bed of millet pilaf I envisioned to lay a fillet of salmon on.  So whether it was the pressure cooker or that I shouldn't make up my own millet pilaf recipes in a hurry like that I don't know but I am pretty sure you shouldn't be able to remove the entire bowl of millet with one swipe of a spoon! 

oh well, won't make that mistake again!
Happy Eating
Chanda

No comments:

Post a Comment