Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday

 For breakfast we had waffles.  I used 1 cup brown rice flour and then used 3/4 cup plain old white flour to make sure there was enough gluten.  I then added a tbps of flax and one of oat bran.  I used 1/2 cup coconut oil instead of 1/2 cup butter--but think this was WAY more than the mix needed in the end--I didn't even need to spray the waffle iron.  I also added about 1/2 cup of some of the left over cooked buckwheat cereal from yesterday.  The recipe calls for 1 tsp vanilla which I think is the key. Oh and it calls for 2 tbsp white sugar so I did 2 tsp agave instead.  I served them with fresh blackberries, strawberries, apricots, and nectarines on top.  THEY WERE HEAVENLY!!!  No syrup needed!  The best part was that lunch time Lucy said she was still full from breakfast and then at dinner she said she still was full from breakfast--they were seriously satisfying.

For Lunch I served a milk free smoothie of frozen bananas, frozen Normandy veggie blend, fresh strawberries, blackberries, and pineapple.  I added flax and hemp protein and water.  Delicious.  I served this with whole wheat tortilla and cheese.  I am not wanting to do everything whole wheat anymore but I have what I have so I might as well use it.  Same goes with dinner.

For dinner I made whole wheat pasta with a vitamix version of low fat Alfredo sauce. It is milk, 2 tbsp cream cheese, 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 Parmesan cheese, and garlic.  I added a huge spoonful of Greek yogurt to try.  The yogurt made it thicker which I liked but Lucy was hesitant about--it dulled the garlic flavor I think.  I poured their sauce out and then added some fresh basil and it made a great creamy basil sauce.  Anyways, I served it with a garden salad, fruit, and broccoli.  Here is the cool part--I gave everyone their plates with a little of everything and both the girls devoured their salad first, then fruit, broccoli and finally pasta, then asked for more salad.  How cool is that?  So all my worry about serving the not-so-healthy sauce and they probably both had maybe 2 tbsp of it each, if that.  However, I can tell that I didn't get enough fat or protein with the meal because it is now 9pm and I feel empty inside--not hungry but like I've only eaten veggies.

Happy Eating
Chanda

No comments:

Post a Comment