Saturday, June 9, 2012

My new favorite meal

This is my second time making this meal and it is soooo delicious!  Okay so I made Quinoa from a recipe I have called Quinoa and Black beans.  But instead of adding the corn and beans at the end like the recipe said I just cooked the Quinoa.  While that was simmering I cooked up some fresh corn on the cob, hurried and heated up a bowl of black beans, and one of pinto beans, cut up some lettuce and spinach (we've had so much salad lately we ate all the healthier greens so I am afraid I only had ice berg to put with the spinach so if you make this hopefully you will have a healthier green to add to the spinach!), cut up some fresh cilantro, and then made guacamole (I like mine with just avacados, lime and garlic-yum!).  We put a tortilla on the bottom but it really isn't even necessary.  Then pile on the above, and top with crumbled up "Food should taste good" chips and cheese if you want.  I know that having corn and beans is doubling up on the carbs so you don't have to do the corn if this is a worry.  But Quinoa is a complete protein and the fat from the avocados is great for you.  So that topped with a bunch of fresh greens should make a pretty good meal.  I use to do homemade cafe rio and make the labor intensive lime & cilantro rice but I think the Quinoa totally does the trick and is way easier and faster.

In other news, we are on a mission to discover a quick alternative to cereal for breakfast that doesn't involve cooking at all.  Friday I had our homemade granola with oatmeal milk topped with fresh fruit--very satisfying.  However, since it is homemade I don't really know how much sugar per serving their is or fiber so I may be fooling myself.  The girls and I are on a mission to figure this and a few other granola options out so I will keep you posted.

This morning I made a variation of the waffles I made the other day.  I used my 6 grain flour, added some more cooked buckwheat,1 Tbsp hemp protein and flax, used 1/3 cup coconut oil instead of the 1/2 c oil it called for, and then accidentally forgot to add sugar but couldn't even tell!  They got eaten all the same.  Unfortunately, right after breakfast our free day with Jon got completely turned upside down so we had to eat out for lunch--luckily it was at least Rumbi.  But I was bummed none-the-less.  I felt really drained this afternoon but my dinner boasted me right back up!

Okay enough for today!
Happy Eating!
Chanda

No comments:

Post a Comment