Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Brain Washing My Kids

So I am very conscientious about the fact that I don't want my kids to be the weird kids who scream "poison" at some kids birthday party when the innocent mother brings out the cake and ice cream.  However, I really want them to understand that the American diet is NOT okay for our bodies.  I think they are getting the message.  A few days ago they were playing store and asked me to come buy some food from them.  At first they would hold up a plastic food item and I would say "Yes, I love pears, they have 5 grams of fiber!" or "Yuck, no donuts for me."  Well, they quickly caught on and began holding up food items and answering for me, such as "No soda for us, that has way too much sugar," or "Eggs are a great source of protein."  I found it cute when they even held up white bread and said "Mom, this is actually whole grain bread so you can buy it."  They know how to convince me!  In the end they had two separate buckets-- the healthy food and non-healthy food.

The other night for dinner Lucy abstained from Ketchup with her salmon because it has too much sugar.  I didn't say anything-- it was all her.  But I don't want my kids to feel like they can't have certain foods so I am still figuring out how to strike the balance.  In the mean time it is cute to see how much they are picking up as I learn and share with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment